Friday, May 28, 2010

Natural Bridge Zoo

















The first full week of April was Spring Break for school's here in VA so my friend Jennifer and I decided to take our kids for a visit to the Natural Bridge Zoo. Overall the kids had a great time! Thinking about taking a field trip of your own...here's my "Mom Review":
Pro: Good variety of "Kid Favorite" animals (ie: Giraffe, Zebra, Monkeys, Tigers)
Con: Large animals are all in very small cages that don't usually reflect their natural habitat (seems sad for the animals)
Pro: The kids got to feed just about every animal there which they thought was really cool!
Con: There were no zookeepers or zoo employees around any of the animals that the kids were feeding which just about gave me a heart attack thinking that the animals would bite. Does this seem weird to anyone else??? Isn't that a huge liability for the zoo? Plus...what was in that food that EVERY animal there want to eat...weird!
Pro: The zoo was compact and small so you didn't have to walk far between each exhibit.
Con: The pathways were all GRAVEL! Are you kidding me??? Who visits zoos...usually families with strollers!?! Needless to say, we weren't aware of this and came with babies and strollers in tow which led to an intense workout pushing the stroller through the deep gravel paths.
Pro: The facilities had picnic tables for eating lunch in the zoo.
Con: The zoo had the most discusting bathrooms I have ever been into in my entire life.
Pro: April was the perfect time to visit because there were so many adorable baby animals! Seeing the interaction between mother and baby was the highlight of the trip for me.
Pro: Jennifer drove!
Con: The trip there was about an hour of windy back roads. Not my favorite, but luckily I'm not one to get carsick. I was, unfortunately, not the best company due to the fact that I stayed up until 2:00 AM finishing a book which lead to me almost falling asleep on the way home. Sorry Jennifer!
* I give the Natural Bridge Zoo a 3 out of 5 stars overall *

No comments: